There are so many reasons as to why we should reduce our meat consumption. Eating more veggies and fruit instead of meat can have a positive impact on our health, the environment and our pocket as well. The research is clear — a diet heavy in meat increases the risk of obesity, cancer and heart disease. Let’s join this global move and have one day a week, free of meat.
This recipe for creamy asparagus soup is made with clean, whole food ingredients and it is quick and simple to make. Making it perfect for meat free Monday! I know a lot of us have a love/hate relationship with asparagus, however you will be pleasantly surprised as to how good this homemade soap tastes.
CREAMY ASPARAGUS SOUP
12 stalks of asparagus, roughly chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, freshly chopped
Small bunch of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup organic vegetable broth
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut off and discard the ends of asparagus.
- Prepare the veggies: roughly chop the asparagus, onions, garlic and coriander.
- Add the asparagus, onions, olive oil, garlic, Himalayan pink salt and black pepper to a pan and saute on med-high heat until the onions and asparagus become softened.
- Add the coriander and stir.
- Right before the asparagus is fully cooked, cover with vegetable broth and bring to boil for about 15 min.
- Add the entire can of coconut milk to the blender, stir the milk before pouring.
- Add the soup mix into the blender and blend until smooth. Start on a lower speed and gradually increase the speed (this will whisk soup and give it a thicker consistency).
- Once blended smoothly, pour back into your pot and let it simmer for about 5 minutes and serve warm.
When you prepare the veggies in the first step of the recipe, you don’t have to take the time to dice them up into small pieces, they will get blended up in the blender anyway. Just cut them into small enough pieces that will make it easier to handle when you saute them.
Warning! Asparagus will make your urine smell. Some people are lucky enough not to smell it, but unfortunately, I can. Do not be alarmed, it is totally normal.
Enjoy the soup, Kisses.